Copyright © Janice Tracy, Cemeteries of Dancing Rabbit Creek.

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Burrell Family Members Buried in Fellowship Cemetery

These stones pictured here mark the graves of three Burrell family members buried in Fellowship Cemetery in Attala County. You will note the variations in the spelling of the name, beginning with the French version, "Burel," to "Burell," the version of the name commonly used during the 1800s, and later to "Burrell," the spelling most often seen today in the U. S. today.

Beginning tomorrow on my other blog, Mississippi Memories, I will be writing several posts that detail the history of this early Attala County, Mississippi family that descends from Jean Baptiste Elzear Burel, a French emigrant. Please visit me there to read the story of this family's interesting beginnings and its subsequent migrations into South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi and beyond.



(Photo courtesy of Duncan C. Covington)


Born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, James P. Burell was one of six children born to Patience Hannah Bird, and Dr. Jean Baptiste Elzear Burel. Patience Bird and Dr. Jean (John) Burel were married at St. Joseph's Catholic Church in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on February 22, 1785, and continued to live in the Germantown area of Philadelphia until for almost twenty years. In the early 1800s, the family moved south to Union County, South Carolina, where they lived near Goshen Hill.


(Photo courtesy of Duncan C. Covington)

Samuel Jenkins and Dr. John Burel lived near other in South Carolina, and the two families' familial links began when Anne Jenkins, daughter of Samuel Jenkins, married William Riley Burell, Dr. Burel's grandson. Members of the Burel and Jenkins families migrated to Mississippi and continued to live near each other in Attala County and the surrounding area. Today, many descendants of the Burrell and the Jenkins families are still residents of Attala County, while others are scattered throughout the United States.


(Photo courtesy of Duncan C. Covington)


Jean Baptiste Elzear Burel, a French physician who allegedly served with Lafayette during the American Revolution, is the patriarch of the Burel/Burell/Burrell family that first began in Philadelphia (Germantown) Pennsylvania, and later lived in Union County, South Carolina. In South Carolina, he was known as Dr. John Burel. While some of his descendants moved farther south and settled in the Hog Mountain area of Gwinnett County, GA, others moved westward to Mississippi.

6 comments:

  1. I decided to google my great great great great grandfather Jean Baptiste burel, what a treat to come across this! This is what i have. Dr. Jean Baptiste Burel m. Patience Hanna Bird, they had my great great great grandfather James Burell who m. Nancy Elizabeth Darby, they had my great great grandfather William Riley Burell who m. Anne Jenkins, they had my great grandfather Robert Burrell who m. Nancy Drucilla Cotton (her parents were John Cotton and Mary Burrell) Robert and Nancy had my grandmother Dora Bell Burrell who m. my granfather Percy Guy Brock Sr. (both at rest in Parkway cemetery in Kosciusko, MS) Dora and Percy had my mother Waulene Brock who m. Henry Belk, they had me, Karen Janine Belk, Wolfe and I have Elizabeth D. Wolfe, named for her great great great great grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a decsndant of James and Nancy Elizabeth Darby's son William Riley and Anne Jenkins Burrell, and their son, John Berry and Polly Jenkins. I would love to connect with you about our genealogy!! Are you from Attala County, Mississippi??

      Delete
    2. I'm a descendant of Jean Baptiste Elzear Burel and Patience Hannah Bird through Margaret Epps Burel Hunter, their only child to remain in SC. I have been unable to locate the Burel graves at Goshen Hill in Union Co., SC even though I have gps coordinates. I've made 2 trips with no success. The area is very remote with dense woods. If anyone is able to assist with this, please reply.

      Delete
  2. I am descended through William Riley's brother, John Berry "Jack" Burrell down to his son Samuel Jefferson Burrell of whom I have a photo copy of a portrait my grandfather had hanging on his wall. Sam married 2 women, my line is through 2nd wife, Nancy Ann Jenkins. Their daughter Phallie Amanda Burrell is my great grandmother. My mom's side married into the Cottons through a Jones line. It gets complicated when you look at it on paper. Intertwining of various lines in various ways. -Carla Dickerson Goodloe

    dickerson-goodloe.com is my website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a ggggg granddaughter of Dr.Burel

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am descended through a brother and sister John Berry "Jack" Burrell to his son Samuel Jefferson Burrell to his daughter by second wife Sicily Earle Burrell, my grandmother. I am also descended through Anne Elizabeth Burrell, sister of John Berry Burrell. She married Samuel Jenkins, she died when my great grandmother, Mary Ann Jenkins, was born in 1849. Mary Anne married my great grandfather John Marion Caldwell. My grandparents are buried in Grenada Memorial Gardens Cemetery John Henry Caldwell and Sicily Burrell Caldwell. They moved to Grenada County, Hardy, in the 1930's. My Great grandparents John Marion and Mary Anne Jenkins Caldwell are buried in Attala County in the Stump Bridge Cemetery. Annelle Caldwell Taylor

    ReplyDelete